Mobile DJs are always looking for ways to enhance their performance and increase their bookings.
Black lights are a great tool and will let you enter the world of "GLOW PARTIES"
My company, Creative DJs, has been offering black light parties since 1993 and we do about 40 of them per year.
What you need to know
The are two types of fixtures that work best for Glow Parties: UV Canons and UV Washes.
Canons provide a narrow beam and shoot anywhere from 25'-40' into a room.
Washes provide a wide coverage area, but only extend 15'-20' out.
L.E.D. vs Bulb
Both fixture styles are available as L.E.D. Bulb versions of UV lights do require warm up (up to 10 minutes) and the bulbs are fragile, especially during transport, so you'll need a really good padded road case. You'll also want to let them cool down before you move them after your show.
Once the bulbs are warmed up, the output is rather intense. Some of the bulbs output 400 watts of light.
It is also worth mentioning that the newer L.E.D. fixtures are very reliable, but don't have as much punch as their bulb counterparts. The technology is getting better, but has a ways to go still. So if you decide to go the L.E.D. route, you may need more fixtures to acheive the results you are looking for. The one postive side about L.E.D. is there is no warm up and the fixtures are available as DMX.
Set the Stage
I use a combination of the L.E.D. and bulb style fixtures and the room is literally a glowing sea of purple.
I place the Canons in the corners of the room and the Washes in the middle to fill in any uncovered areas.
For additional ambience, I use an X-Laser Pyro laser to project starry sky patterns above the crowd.
Tips for a great party
- Make sure the room you are playing in can be made completely dark. Cover all windows with black paper.
- Upsell your client with glow in the dark novelties such as necklaces, bracelets and blinking L.E.D. trinkets.
- Glow paint can be used for sign and decorations. Wal-Mart sells glow paint in the Fabrics & Crafts department.
- Encourage attendees to wear white or flourescent colors that will "POP" the UV light. White gloves look really cool.
- Flourescent markers work well for signs and writing on white T-Shirts.
I have assembled a special "GLOW" package deal with www.Hollywooddj.com that includes two wash fixtures and a X-Laser Pyro. Contact them today at (800) 838-3486. Mention you saw this article to get the deal.
Press Ctrl+D to Bookmark Your Favorite Posts - chauvet shadow